The Prime Minister has announced a mini reshuffle of ministers, as well as the introduction of four new governmental departments.
The new appointments have been confirmed as below:
- Grant Shapps – Secretary of State for Energy, Security and Net Zero
- Kemi Badenoch – Secretary of State for Business and Trade
- Lucy Frazer – Secretary of State for Culture, Media, and Sport
- Michelle Donelan – Secretary of State for Science, Innovation, and Technology
- Greg Hands – Conservative Party Chairman
In addition, Rishi Sunak, with approval from HM The King, has formed four new government departments, that he says, ‘will ensure the right skills and teams are focused on the Prime Minister’s five promises: to halve inflation, grow the economy, reduce debt, cut waiting lists, and stop the boats.”
The new departments are as follows:
- Department for Energy Security and Net Zero
- Department for Science, Innovation, and Technology
- Department for Business and Trade
- Department for Culture, Media, and Sport
Richard Beresford, chief executive of the National Federation of Builders (NFB), said: “It’s good to see the Government recognise our industry calls for net zero and energy to have their own departments. We hope they can work alongside the new Department for Science, Innovation and Technology to enable strategic outcomes.
However, after several productive meetings with Lucy Frazer MP during her time as housing minister, her promotion restarts a period of ministerial education about the housing and planning system. We look forward to working with whomever gets this vital role, but it may be time to create a specific department for housing, construction, and planning because six housing ministers in a calendar year and watered down planning reforms suggests the Government isn’t taking the housing crisis seriously enough.”