26 January 2021
Lord Andrew Stunell, Liberal Democrat peer and spokesman for construction in the Lords, leads a strong panel of judges for the new, independent Construction Awards of Excellence.
The panel includes the leaders of a number of influential industry bodies, as well as the Managing Director of Phase Two of Europe’s largest infrastructure project, HS2. Lord Stunell commented:
“When launching these new awards, it was important to ensure that the judging panel brought the expertise, experience and industry standing appropriate to our ambition to become the gold standard in industry awards. We have managed to do that and we’re very pleased to have such industry leaders involved.
“It is also a huge boost to the sector to know that their work prior to, and through, these troubled times will be recognised by these influential figures.”
The full list of judges is:
- Lord Stunell, Liberal Democrats’ spokesman in the Lords for Construction
- Caroline Gumble, Chief Executive Officer, CIOB
- Sean Tompkins, Chief Executive Officer, RICS
- Alan Vallance, Chief Executive Officer, RIBA
- Vaughan Hart, Managing Director, SBF
- Richard Beresford, Chief Executive Officer, NFB
- Lem Bingley, Editor, Construction News
- Tim Smart, Phase Two Managing Director, HS2
To ensure all the good work that building and construction companies have been doing over a two-year period was not overlooked because of Covid-19, the first Awards - to be held online on 15 April - will cover the period January 2019 to May 2020. There will be a welcome return to a physical event at the Chelsea Harbour Hotel in October 2021, which will cover the period June 2020 to July 2021.
The submission and judging process will remain the same for both events.
All construction and building businesses in Great Britain are eligible to enter the new Awards. The submission process has been kept deliberately straightforward.
Submission to the Awards is now open and will close on 19 February 2021.
To ensure the Awards are open to the whole of the UK, NFB is working alongside its Scottish counterparts, the Scottish Building Federation (SBF).
The Award categories are:
- Building contractor of the year: Scotland
- Building contractor of the year: Wales
- Building contractor of the year: England - turnover under £15m
- Building contractor of the year: England - turnover over £15m
- UK house builder of the year - under 35 units/yr
- UK house builder of the year - over 35 units/yr
- Training initiative of the year
- Young employee of the year
- Environmental initiative of the year
- Heritage building project of the year
- Lifetime achievement award